Friday, October 10, 2008

Let's get started!

Well, it's already October, and everyone is learning new things--including me!

This is a new learning experience for me-'website blogging' and I'm counting on you to let me know how this works for you, too!
CALLING ALL PARENTS-
I can be most effective teaching your children when we communicate regularly. You can reach me at this blog, by email- rriley353@gmail.com, and often, after school, in room 316. We all want your child to be successful, so there are a few things I need you to know about my expectations.
First, although I do not assign homework every day, I will sometimes assign something over a weekend! Most often, it will be a writing assignment that will take extra time, so any research, or simply good penmanship is given adequate time. PLEASE check the work for neatness! If I cannot easily read the work, I will not accept it. Larger writing assignments will be given a rubric. Once I learn how to attach documents to this blog, I will do so.
DISCIPLINE
The rules of the classroom are posted on the wall. One of the rules is "respect people and property". Learning is the goal, and if everyone respects the class, everyone learns! Students will receive 1 reminder, that they are breaking a rule. The second time, a short (15 minutes) detention will be given, and the rules will be copied by the student, and brought home to be signed by YOU! A "community service" task may be given-something that will benefit the class. When the behavior is "off the charts", I will call you as soon as possible after class, to advise you of the circumstances. Persistent infractions may also require me to complete a "pink slip" for the school records, and administrative action.
GENERAL GOALS FOR STUDENTS
Over the course of the year, students are expected to improve their reading, writing, and comprehension skills in using English as their second language. I utilize both the planning timeline from the classroom, along with the ESOL curriculum, and my own creativity and resources. This may include making food, exposure to art, music, and literature. We will use the school library for research BEFORE I allow Internet time. Hands-on activities will be used as often as possible, especially for students with more limited English. I am sensitive to "teachable moments" and will change plans if I see the need to reinforce an objective, or present it differently than I had orginally expected! Sometimes I will add something special, just to make a concept more memorable (FUN)!
CLUBS!!!!
Multicultural Club is open to students from 5th-8th grade. New members should write a short letter to me, telling me why you are interested. We will begin meeting soon, on Wednesday afternoons, from 3:15 to 4:15. Listen for the announcement in school!
Any 4th and 5th grade students interested in SCIENCE should also write a short essay, telling me about what you like about science. Your teacher must also sign the letter. Only good listeners and direction-followers, please! We will meet every other Tuesday after school, from 3:15 to 4:15. Listen for the announcements!
WOW!
That's enough for now! Check here every week for updates! I hope you will email me at rriley353@gmail.com after you read the blog, to let me know what you think, and if it was helpful to you. Thanks, and have a great weekend!

1 comment:

crystal-lieu said...

Hi Mrs.riley i showed my mom the websit and she knows now and my family sayed i am too smart for science so that's why i have to join in the science club tomrrow
and wednsday.