Sunday, August 9, 2009

What's the Catch?

I can appreciate a "pay off" for a job well done. As a parent and teacher, I understand the idea of "incentive" to get someone to do something. HOWEVER, I also know that doing something because it is the right thing can be its own reward. Oh, sure, I'm an adult, so I recognize the meaning of "intrinsic". That understanding came simply from the process of growing up.

I grew up with both parents, and Mom stayed home with the kids, while Dad worked 6 days a week until I was 15. With 3 children, there was not a lot of money, vacation, or expensive birthday and holiday gifts. My point: we were not given gifts, bribes, or material incentives to help in the house, rake the yard, etc. It needed to be done, and if we didn't do it (correctly!), there were consequences: wrath and frustration from parents.

This is my frustration : any new academic schoolwide challenges have to have a gimmick and prize pizza parties to get kids and apparently, parents, to "buy in" and support. What about "this is what you need to learn to be successful in school"? Gee, I thought grades were the reward. Maybe having your work posted prominently on a bulletin board, or on the family refrigerator. If a teacher wants to provide individual effort or accomplishment recognition, great. I'm all for it, and do it sometimes myself.

Another reason I have issue with some schoolwide academic contests (I'm not talking about spelling bees, either) is this: there are students, primarily those with learning differences or English as their second language, who simply "are not there yet". These students are pretty much kicked to the curb, because the contest "rules" do not include the differentiation or adjustments that would permit these individuals to "be winners". Worse, their own 'adapted learning' may prevent the class as a whole to "win", creating resentment from the occaisional classroom teacher and the other students.

Now, I believe, if a person (me, in this case) is going to make a fuss about something, a solution or alternative should be offered. Here it is- simply put something in place, people. It is what is it is. the children need to learn vocabulary, teach it, and develop whatever the class needs to reinforce the words and skills. Keep it low-key, in-class, and award stickers or candy if you are so inclined, for sincere EFFORT as well as results.

Yes, parents should support the learning of their students, and make sure homework is done as neatly and correctly as possible. I don't think a child's self-esteem should hang on winning a pizza party for their class.

No comments: