Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Putting It All Together

The puppet show idea was so inspiring, my more proficient 8th graders chose it as a way to help present their Service Learning Project, dealing with Teen Pregnancy. They researched and wrote 4 scenes, and I simply edited to assist the flow of the story. I videotaped it, and it will be burned to a CD for final submission. It was a lot of fun, and a LOT of takes!
Much of all the classes' lessons involve the applications of the skills and vocabulary they have learned this year, from me and their classroom teachers. My 4th grade students are writing stories about "their magical friend", after comparing several versions of Cinderella stories. I found it intriguing how most of the group simply wanted a magical pal to play with. Speed, being invisible, and "buying stuff" are frequent wishes. No pumpkin coaches for this crowd!
I'm seeing more thought from my 6th grade students, as they analyze poetry with an environmental theme, and 7th grade has been contemplating the effects of The Dust Bowl (1930's) on the national economy and family impacts. I expect this to be extended to a more personal perspective before the month is over.

The whole school is preparing for Multicultural Day, a school-wide celebration at Morrison, that has long been a rite of Spring. I was happy to inherit this tradition, starting from my predessor, and I hope it will continue if I leave. (The District is shuffling the deck and forcing transfers among teachers in Philadelphia, and it is likely I will be one of them. I'm hoping to stay, but know that I will be wherever I'm supposed to be. I dislike the uncertainty, and possible prospect of packing and leaving, but I know I can positively affect students wherever I am. )
Multicultural Day celebrates the things that make the world go 'round--geography, food, art, music, literature, etc. This year, there is emphasis on avoiding stereotyped craft projects, and focusing on a more interdisciplinary approach. For example, graphing population shifts, climate, or examining the history of a traditional art form. Students are really learning about the country, rather than doing "hit and run"-pick-a-country-do-a-craft,or make some food. It's more fun, and it's great to read some of the writings and see some of the art projects in the hallways!
Last week, I got a new student from Haiti, speaking French and Creole. As much as I always enjoy the challenge of new students, I am really appreciating the effort from this student as he transitions into a new country, language, and culture (especially the school culture)! Additonally, it is extra motivation for me to recall some of my "forgotten", unused, high school French. Although I use English in class, I want to be able to compliment his work in a language he understands! The first six months are often the most challenging for a new "entering-level" student. If his time and effort continues during the summer, he will be immensely more comfortable and competent when he starts high school in September.

Many students (and teachers) are counting the days till the end of the school year--I'm more interested in how many more amazing projects my students will complete! Appreciating and applying what you've learned is a legacy that will last a lifetime!

No comments: